How To Get Started
We’re done with the first quarter of 2021. How are you doing? Honest question.
I know for me, 2020 was a bit of a beating. It beat up my business, it beat up my physical health, it beat up my mental health… it was tough.
But, like many of you, I’m ready to turn it around and get back to that 2019 greatness I was feeling and beyond. I want to feel strong again, capable of any physical task, and to just feel really healthy. I know how to get there. I mean, I’ve been doing this fitness thing professionally for 12+ years now… but I do realize that many people might not know the best ways to get back to it.
Here are my top tips on how to get started.
Understand that this is a long journey.
I hear it all the time. “How much weight do you think I can lose in 30 days?” “How soon until I can do X?” “I want to get fit quickly!”
At Yellow Rose, we’re never going to lie to you. Fitness is a lifelong journey, and it’s going to take time to get there. As a fitness professional, I can tell you confidently that there will be times whenever working out is going to feel awful. You’re not going to want to do it. You’d rather stay at home, or go to the bar, or do… well, anything other than exercise.
And that’s OK.
It’s OK to not “feel it” 24/7. It’s not sustainable to think you can be on your game at all times. Some weeks will be great, some weeks won’t. As long as you understand this, it will make it so much easier to keep this going as a lifelong journey.
Just Show Up
Keeping things going with a bit of mindset approach to getting started, understanding that showing up is 80% of the battle. The other 20% is the actual workout. While that 20% is important, continuing to show up far outweighs this.
Take it Slow
When you’re feeling motivated and excited to get after fitness, it is SO easy to start by doing too much, too quickly. Remember, we can always add things in (more volume, intensity, movements, etc) … but if you start out so fast to the point where you’re incredibly sore, miserable, and possibly injured, you run the risk of ending up right where you started.
Start slow, then we’ll get things going. Crawl before you walk, and walk before you run!
Find a place where you feel comfortable.
Not all gyms are for everyone, that’s for sure. Try some places out. Get to know the staff. Get a feel for the workouts. You might find that you don’t vibe with ANY gyms. In that case, it’s a good opportunity to explore some at-home workouts!
Yellow Rose is hailed by our members as the most welcoming community they’ve ever been in, and it couldn’t be more true. We have all ages, all walks of life, and all levels of fitness who are all looking to keep up their exercise habit, and reach their goals along the way. We know you’ll feel comfortable here!
Pay For Accountability
Staying accountable to fitness is one of the hardest parts about getting started. It’s easy to do Day 1, but what about day 2? Who’s going to help you keep going?
I can’t recommend enough that you put a bit of skin in the game and either hire or coach, or join a group fitness gym (conveniently, we offer personal training, online training, AND group fitness!). The added element of outside accountability will help keep you going. Along with paying for accountability…
Find a Place/Coach With Structured Workouts
I’m sure you’ve done this before…
You get to the gym.
You go in.
You have no idea what to do.
You get overwhelmed.
You walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes.
While showing up IS 80% of the battle (and we’re super proud of you for getting in that 20 minutes of work!), we know that we can make that 20% a whole lot more effective with fun and effective workouts. Having someone else do the thinking for you is one of the biggest benefits of having a coach or belonging to a group fitness studio.
“I love Yellow Rose because when I show up, I don’t have to think. The workouts are ready to go, and I just have to show up.” – Scott
And the final tip…
Give Yourself Grace
You’re starting a journey again, or maybe even for the first time. As cliche as the phrase is, “Rome wasn’t built in a day” is very appropriate for fitness. You can’t expect to be “fit” after one session, but you can expect to feel good. Ride that good feeling and the positive momentum into your next workout, and your next, and your next.
The grace you give yourself at the start will ensure a long and sustainable journey in fitness.
If you didn’t catch on during all of that, I not-so-subtly showcased why Yellow Rose is such a great place to help you get started.
If you’ve ever struggled making exercise a habit, or not knowing what to do at the gym, or staying accountable, or needing help with a tailored approach to nutrition and fitness… we are the place for you. Contact us on our website, set up your No Sweat Intro, and let’s get you on the right path for YOU.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out! We’re here for you, always.